Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Proud Mary

I really feel the need to talk about how proud I am of Michael today.

If you've read my intro, you know that we haven't been married very long.  Only five years, 4 1/2 of those years with a child, and 2 1/2 of those years with his health problems.  Ours had not been an easy road and there have been many times when our marriage has really suffered because of these things.  Let me also add that Michael was 37 when we met...very much a set in his ways bachelor.  Oh, and did I mention that we're both INCREDIBLY stubborn and set in our ways?

It's been a long time since Michael's really taken care of himself.  His diabetes went unchecked for a very long time, and it's hard for him to accept limitations on any part of his life.  Especially when those limitations are given to him by other people.  We have both struggled so much with the life changes we've needed to make and while we've been successful in some areas, we've failed in others.  We struggle daily with all of the changes, but we know that not only is it in our best interest, it's in our son's best interest.  We MUST teach him NOW to take care of his body and eat right.

Until recently, I've been working full time, helping out every night at our TKD school, and doing all the "mom" chores at home...cooking, cleaning, laundry, and all that good stuff.  I've been failing miserably all the "mom" chores, and Michael's health has suffered...until this week.

I'm not sure what has changed, but Michael has left me speechless this week and last week.  Instead of staying away from the gym when he's tired, he's been going.  Instead of eating out or expecting me to cook, he's been cooking.  Yesterday I came home from work and I was blown away.  The washer and dryer were running, the dishwasher was running, the sink was void of ALL dirty dishes, the laundry was folded, and dinner was in the slow cooker.  Y'all, I could have been knocked over with a feather.  I didn't even know what to do with myself. And this isn't the first time.  Last week he cleared off most of the pool table (which is a HUGE catch all for our junk).

I cannot begin to describe the happiness and lightness in my heart. Instead of feeling weighed down with all the things that need to be done, I feel like I can play a board game with my son, and not feel guilty.  I feel like I can sit and watch a TV show with my husband, and not feel guilty.  Sure, there's still cleaning and organizing  that I need to do, but I don't feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

So Michael, if I do end up sharing this with you, I want you to know how proud I am of you.  I am so VERY lucky that you are my husband.  You are taking a stand against these heart limitations, and saying, "I can DO this."  I have hope now, that you will be with us for a long time, and that gives me so much joy.  No one wants to lose their spouse. Ever. But the thought of losing you before you get to see our son grow into a man breaks my heart.  He needs you and so do I.   Thank you for setting an example for our little family.  I love you so VERY much.

No comments:

Post a Comment